Saturday, May 17, 2014

Restricting Dissent in Global Warming Alarmism

Three weeks ago, Professor Lennart Bengtsson, a leading scientist in the global warming activist group signaled his defection to the climate skeptic camp by joining the board of the Global Warming Policy Foundation. Wikipedia says The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) is a think tank in the United Kingdom, who’s stated aims are to challenge "extremely damaging and harmful policies" envisaged by governments to mitigate anthropogenic [man-made] global warming.

The Swedish climatologist, meteorologist, former director of the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg and winner, in 2006, of the 51st IMO Prize of the World Meteorological Organization for his pioneering work in numerical weather prediction - was by some margin the most distinguished scientist to change sides.

However, he has just resigned from the GWPF board. In his resignation letter, he said the following:

"I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that it has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. I see no other way out therefore than resigning from GWPF. I had not expected such an enormous world-wide pressure put at me from a community that I have been close to all my active life. Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc. I see no limit and end to what will happen."

"It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy. I would never have expected anything similar in such an original peaceful community as meteorology. Apparently it has been transformed in recent years. Under this situation I will be unable to contribute positively to the work of GWPF and consequently therefore I believe it is the best for me to reverse my decision to join its Board at the earliest possible time."

Wikipedia says McCarthyism means the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

Prof. Bengtsson is accusing the global warming alarmist group of McCarthyism in his persecution.

No comments:

Post a Comment